Welcome to Unglued’s top 25 DIY gift ideas online! You may or may not be the last minute holiday shopper such as I…but let’s not kid ourselves – sometimes the best gifts come at the last minute when you have to get reeeally creative! We decided that we would do our best to represent Unglued and all we are and MAKE as many gifts as we can this year…and if something isn’t made by us it’d be handmade or from one of our awesome business neighbors. If you are up for the challenge, join us in MAKING some of your gifts this year to really get your friends and family feeling special;)
Here’s our round up of top 25 DIY gift ideas (ssshhhh…some of these truly are going to get given from us!)…we chose ones that require minimal extra tools and hard-to-find supplies. Keep an eye out for some of our own workshops coming up we linked, too!
1. Homemade Coffee Syrups – Use vintage decanters, Ikea glass bottles, or any cool glassware to create coffee syrups that any coffee lover (or martini lover!) will enjoy!
2. Personalized skewers/s’mores sticks – Don’t have a wood burning tool? Just stop by Unglued and use ours if you’d like for free! They are only $12 on most online shops or in town and we’ll bet you’ll find a lot of projects to use them for.
3. Painted Picnic Table Cloth – Everyone is feeling a little cabin fever crazy already this winter. Make your friend (or even for a kid!) a cute, durable picnic table cloth. It could be paired so easily with other picnic supplies or entertaining wares.
4. Fabric Stamped Cloth Napkins – Pick up a new simple skill and make something everyone can appreciate!
5. Embroidered Photo Art – I have wanted to do this for so long! It’d be such a great gift with your own photos or for a friend using their own from instagram or Facebook.
6. Feather Catnip Cat Toy – You have a cat, right? Or a bunch of friends with cats? Try this simple cute gift to make feline friends happy! (But did you know we are hosting a Cat Gift Making Workshop next week? Yes, indeed, you should be there!!)
7. Personalized Key Fobs – Buy the leathercraft kit at Hobby Lobby and go to it with a leather key fob that both gals and guys will actually want to use! This style does call for a wood burning tool but these are just $12 usually or come to Unglued and use ours for free!
8. Sisal Trivets – A little bit of rope and a little bit of spray paint gets you some modern, trendy coasters going on!
9. Maple Bacon Popcorn – Just add “maple bacon” to any gift idea and you’ve got perfection. Put a batch of this in a sweet treat bag with baker’s twine and you will WIN.
10. Handmade Tea Bags – Made with coffee filters, tea from your local grocery store or fancy tea place, and make it as cutesy as you wish! Maybe include a sweet book from the thrift shop or Zandbroz such as the Midwestern Table!
11. Trendy Office Organization – Watch Home Alone while you do a simple cross stitch after spray painting some good ol’ office storage supplies. A sweet gift for anyone who loves organization!
12. Imprinted Clay Bowl (with or without gold leafing!) – Forget a kiln – you just need this type of clay to dry overnight! Add gold leafing if you’ve got time and imprint away prior to drying with geometric patterns or leaves/pine or lace, etc.! Everyone can use another little dish to store keys, bobby pins, and more.
13. String Art – You can easily make these babies happen by buying your supplies all in town and using items you already have. Michaels has those sweet wood cuts otherwise using any sort of reclaimed wood. You can personalize these gifts with a monogram, word, or image like a deer mount.
14. Wedding Invite Ornament – We received one of these for our wedding and have put it up every year. Perfect for the wedding invite of your friends that you’ve forgotten on your fridge from the summer;)
15. Salty Caramel Bourbon Sauce – Get a few thrift shop jars and make away! Should be refrigerated and used within 2 weeks, though, but see how procrastinating on gifts was necessary?
16. DIY Stencil Pillow Case – Find a quote, song, or phrase your friend loves or maybe an anniversary date. Buy or make an envelope pillow case and a fabric marker and go to it! OR take our Handmade Gifting Part Workshop on Saturday, Dec 21 to make a pillow (and get the pillow form included!) to do this with later! (plus you make 2 other sweet gifts!).
17. Wine Cork Coasters – To pair with our Wine Bottle Cheese Platter Workshop this Saturday! We have 2 great workshops from Glass ArtCessories who has the wine bottle cheese platters at our shop – one for kids using alcohol inks and one for adults to decorate and personalize your own cheese platter (sign up with 2 people to get the cheese platter for less than the cost of a pre-made one!)
18. Beeswax Candles – We have ordered the same beeswax Oh Happy Day! references, but you still may be able to find some in town, too! We are hosting a kids workshop version of this to make 3 larger and wider beeswax candles and adults are also welcome to attend this workshop since it’s such a sweet gift!
19. Pine Satchels – Win with the plaid trend by using freshly fallen pine needles or other scents like lavender. It’s cute and small and useful!
21. Pine Cone Fire Starters – This is such a COOL IDEA!! You can forage your own pinecones, buy some tea lights, do a little baking and have a perfect gift for all the campy and adventurous (or bonfire-loving) people in your life!
22. Sailor’s Knot Doorstop and Paperweight – Knot tying is all the rage and again a great gift for the the men and the ladies. Design Sponge even includes youtube tutorial videos here!
23. Boozy Hot Cocoa Kit – This gift is special because you can finally buy some of those jars you’ve been wanting to make a sweet gift out of, it’s perfect for someone who will need to relax after the holidays, AND it’s adorable (and made-from-scratch hot cocoa so it’s really special!).
24. Lumberjack Sack – Plaid + lumberjack + reusable tote makes the perfect wintery gift. Just a little bit of sewing to get through and you’ll be set!
25. Travel Sewing Kit in a Vintage Book – Make a list of these little supplies needed, run to a vintage shop and pick a sweet book, and create the person who can make everything an adorable sewing kit they can travel with!
Of course, if you don’t find the time to make everything you want be sure to check out three venues of Unglued’s to get hooked up!
Our permanent shop is expanded to 7 days a week at 408 Broadway! Packed with over 150 artists, crafters, and makers and gifts galore!