Who doesn’t like gifts? Gifts for no special reason – just on an ordinary day, or at a time we need a little uplifting – are the best surprises. Here is a little idea of how to brighten your friends day, give them a boost of confidence, motivation, or how to tell them thank you! Simple pleasures bring the greatest joy. All you have to do is bake off some simple cupcakes, chocolate mint cookies, or buy a donut and follow these steps to complete your crafty treat box! Free Tag Printable Included! (see bottom of post)
This is a little project for you and us… this is our Happiness Project. A little project of sharing some love with baked goods.
Sioux Falls folks – get involved with us by doing some of your own crafty DIY baking and use these cute little tags. If you do, tag AllieMae on facebook or use #bakingforjoy and #ungluedsiouxfalls on instagram, and YOU will have the chance to win a fancy Chocolate Mint Cake (Chocolate Cake with Mint Buttercream and all decked out with toppings of ganache, mint macarons, and meringues). This contest will end on Oct 15!
Fargo folks – do the same as above but use #ungluedfargo and YOU will have a chance to win a 1/2 dozen Grasshopper (chocolate mint) cupcakes from Unglued’s cupcakes by Bakeology! Also ends Oct 15!
1. Bake off your favorite Chocolate Cake Recipe. You can add just a teaspoon of mint to the batter if you like.
2. Follow up with this very simple Mint Buttercream Frosting:
Mint Buttercream Frosting
¾ cup butter
5 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp corn syrup (optional)
¼ cup water or milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp mint extract
In a mixing bowl (or a large bowl and hand mixer) fixed with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until it becomes soft and creamy. Add in 1-2 cups of powdered sugar. Slowly mix to combine and then mix in the corn syrup, vanilla extract and mint extract. Gradually add remainder of powdered sugar, while also mixing in water as needed. Once all is combined, whip the frosting on high for about 5 minutes to help the sugar dissolve. If your frosting happens to get to soft, you can stick it in the refrigerator to thicken up again, or add a bit more powdered sugar.
To create tags for mint cupcakes…
Small Boxes (I found the black milk carton boxes in the dollar section at Target! You can also find this size at Hobby Lobby)
Corner Rounding Punch
Bakers Twine or other ribbon
- Print off the Images in which you can find below (for best quality, print at your local UPS store, but your at home printer works too)!
- With a metal ruler and exacto knife (or just use scissors), cut out your tags.
- Punch a whole at the top.
- With a Corner Rounding Punch, round each corner to make it look clean and professional.
- Tie it around your box (or even around an individual cupcake or bundle of cookies) with twine.
To create flags for donuts…
- Simply cut out the rectangles and fold in half.
- Dab some glue at the crease and place toothpick.
- Dab glue in other areas and fold to seal. Voila! STICK PICK IN DONUT.
THIS Happiness Project will end October 15th and a random contestant will be drawn from each city. We hope you will join in and share some love through desserts!